Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    What is the scientific name of a christmas tree?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the scientific name of a christmas tree?
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Hi,

What is the scientific name of the christmas tree? And why it is evergreen?

SmileIzzy loves you allSmile
<Richard, Moderator>
First of all, there isn't just one kind of tree that's used as a Christmas tree.

Second, are you really interested in the scientific names (the Latin names) of these trees, or are you really talking about the common names for these trees? For example, I believe that among the most typical used for Christmas trees are the blue spruce, the Norwegian spruce, and the Douglas fir.

The word evergreen means "always green," which makes sense since evergreens stay green throughout the year. There are lots and lots of evergreens in the world, not just those types used for Christmas trees.

The other main category are the deciduous trees, which lose their leaves during the fall (autumn) and stay bare until the spring.

The reason that evergreens became popular among some cultures at the start of winter is that winter represents death or a time of dying, but the evergreens stay green and "alive" even at that bleak time of the year, so they became symbols of continuing life. The tradition of bringing one back to the house and decorating it started with the Pagans of northern Europe and then continued with the Christians.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thanks a lot, Richard.

quote:
Second, are you really interested in the scientific names (the Latin names) of these trees, or are you really talking about the common names for these trees? For example, I believe that among the most typical used for Christmas trees are the blue spruce, the Norwegian spruce, and the Douglas fir.

I wonder if you can give the Latin names to give. I still wonder why such trees are always green.

<Richard, Moderator>
Do some research on Google or in Wikipedia. I'm sure you'll find all the information you're looking for.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thanks a lot.