Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    makes /make
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

makes /make
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Which is correct?

Just thinking of you make / makes me smile.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi, bear_bear,

Gerunds can be replaced with "it" (third person singular), so the answer is "makes":

- Just thinking of you makes me smile.
- It makes me smile.
Gerunds? Can you give me more examples?
Thanks.
Any verb in "-ing" acting as a subject or as an object is a gerund. Gerunds designate the action or activity of doing what the verb describes. "thinking" is "the action (singular) of thinking," "cooking" is "the action (singular) of cooking," "sleeping" is "the action (singular) of sleeping," and so on.

When you have two or more gerunds, they may form a compound subject, in which case a plural verb will be used:

- Swimming and diving are water sports.