Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    Sorry for the inconvenience
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry for the inconvenience
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
I always see an ending sentence (and some derivatives) on letters like these:

1. Sorry for the inconvenience.
2. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
3. Sorry for the inconvenience that may have caused to you.

Are these all correct? Is No.2 the best one?

In sentence (3), does it sound proper? I guess it says: I don't think you would have any problem to the mistake made or does it matter at all, but just in case that it causes you any inconvenience, I am sorry for that. Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks.
Momo
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
1. Sorry for the inconvenience.
2. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
3. Sorry for the inconvenience that may have caused to you.

Sentences 1) and 2) are correct. Sentence 3) is not correct as is; you would have to say: 'Sorry for the inconvenience that may have been caused to you.

Sentence 1) is very impersonal. It could be on a sign in an area of construction. Sentence 2) is OK, but also impersonal. Sentence 3) (with 'been') is OK for a letter if you want to make it personal. You could also say, as an alternate to sentence 3):

• We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused / may cause (you).