Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    a light repast of the detective stories
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a light repast of the detective stories
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
After she finishes her homework, she enjoys a light repast of the detective stories she loves so well.

What does the part in bold mean?

Thanks!
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Kis2337,

This quote sounds familiar. Will you please remind me of the source?

"Repast" is a word rarely used in regular conversation today, at least in my experience. It literally means a meal to be eaten. In older times, it could mean the main meal of the day.

Although I'm not sure whether or not I've heard it used literally in this sense, a "light repast" must be a snack or dessert.

In your example, the young lady has been working and working at her schoolwork. At some point, she has accomplished her goal for the day and puts away her work. She has earned a treat for herself: she can put everything else out of her mind for the rest of the evening, curl up in bed or in her favorite chair, and enjoy the brief escape that her favorite stories provide.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thanks for the reply.

It's from 'vocabulary workshop level A' by Jerome Shostak.