Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    Is pronunciation a part of grammar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is pronunciation a part of grammar?
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Is pronunciation a part of grammar?

SmileIzzy loves you allSmile
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Not really.
<Richard, Moderator>
You know, Ismael, that's really a great question. I'm going to keep your question in reserve and see if I can write something to post on my blog, http://azargrammar.com/grammarGuy/, in the near future.

Thanks for a very juicy topic to discuss! Smile
Richard
Thanks a lot my friend!

What drives me to ask the above question is what is written at the back cover of the Practical English Usage, by Swan which states:

"Most of the book is about grammar, but it also covers selected points of vocabulary, idiom, style, pronunciation and spelling."

What I inferred from that is that pronunciation is not part of grammar.

<Richard, Moderator>
Hmm ... Very interesting!

I'll just say one little thing here since this really is a topic much more suited for my blog than the GE:

Here's a great definition for grammar that linguists use:

"The sounds and sound patterns, the basic units of meaning, such as words, and the rules to combine them to form new sentences constitute the grammar of a language. The grammar, then, is what we know; it represents our linguistic competence. To understand the nature of language we must understand the nature of this internalized, unconscious set of rules, which is part of every grammar of every language."*

Richard

*Victoria Fromkin & Robert Rodman. An Introduction to Language. 4th ed. Holt, Rinehart & Winston. 1988
Thanks my friend. I'm waiting...........

<Richard, Moderator>
Your wait is over, Ismael. Please surf over to my blog and look at my latest posting. I invite all our wonderful GE members to take a look at my blog. Just go to http://azargrammar.com/grammarGuy/

Richard
By all means, do visit Richard's blog.

Note that some definitions of grammar do include pronunciation.

From the American Heritage Dictionary*, at "grammar":

• The study of how words and their component parts combine to form sentences.

The study of structural relationships in language or in a language, sometimes including pronunciation, meaning, and linguistic history.

The system of inflections, syntax, and word formation of a language.

The system of rules implicit in a language, viewed as a mechanism for generating all sentences possible in that language.

Rachel
    _______
    *The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin 2007