Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    Blending in Morphology?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blending in Morphology?
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Hi,

smoke / fog

After blending, taking the first two letters from the word smoke and the last two letters from fog, we get "smog".

My questions are:

1. Is there any word in English that is a result of blending the last two or three letters, etc, of words?

2. Is there any word in English that is a result of blending the first two or three letters, etc, of words?

Below is a made up example to make my point clear.

cassette recorder

cassreco or etterder

3. Can blending happen of more than two words?

4. Smog is a result of smoke and fog, but is it possible to find the opposite, I mean taking the last letters of the second word and put is them first and the fist letters of the second word and put them last?

Here is another made up example.

cassette recorder

ordercass

I hope I made my pint clear.

Thanks a lot.

SmileIzzy loves you allSmile
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
This is a most interesting question, Izzy, and I have been thinking about it since you posted it.

I think that the only formation that we have in English has the first part the first part of one of the nouns and the second or last part of a second noun. I have looked for examples of another way in several texts.

Quirk shows these examples:

breatha.lyser (breath + analyser)
electro.cute (electro + execute)
Euro. vision (European + television)
heli.port (helicopter + airport
news.cast 9news + broadcast)
para.troops (parachute + troops)
smog (smoke + fog)
stag.flation (stagnation + inflation
tele.cast (stagnation + inflation)
tele.cast (television + broadcast)
trave.logue (travel + catalogue)

We can think of several new words that follow this pattern, particular pertaining to technology, such as webinar and webcast.

It would be fun if we can make a list of these words, and particularly if we can find some exceptions to this pattern.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rachel, Moderator,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Yes, that is an interesting topic.
Smile
Another example that comes immediately to my mind is:

- camcorder (camera + recorder)