Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    through & by
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

through & by
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
1. I take care of my teeth by brushing them three times a day.

2. I take care of my teeth through brushing them three timesaday.

3. I learn English by watching English movies and reading books written in the language.

4. I learn English through watching English movies and reading books written in the language.

I tried to make up some sentences. Are they correct? I was wondering how to use the two words: by and through .

Many thanks!!!!!
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Only 'by' is correct in your sentences.
'by' is used when we are talking about the means that something is done.
By brushing my teeth, i keep them healthy.

'through' refers to the process by which something is achieved.
Success only comes through hard work.
Thank you very much, Bazz!
Sorry for misspelling your name, Bazza!
David, Co-moderator
quote:
3. I learn English by watching English movies and reading books written in the language.

4. I learn English through watching English movies and reading books written in the language.
Hi, Ruifeng,

I agree with Bazza that only "by" is correct in your sentences -- given what you very likely desire your sentences to mean. But there is nothing intrinsically incorrect about using "through" here; it simply gives a different meaning from "by."

Thus, in (3), "by" conveys intentionality and method: you achieve the result of learning English by X-ing and Y-ing. In (4), "through" conveys mere causality. It suggests that your learning English is an unintentional byproduct of your X-ing and Y-ing. Compare:
  • I've never sought to learn slang expressions in English. I learn them through listening to rap music.