Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    attributive, absolute adjectives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

attributive, absolute adjectives
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Hi,

'Beautiful girl/hair'

The teacher said that 'beautiful' here is both an attributive and absolute adjective . She explained that adjective which defines a person is an attributive adjective and if it defines things, event or an idea, it is an absolute adjective . Could you please explain this?

Thank you.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Not quite. Things are more complicated than this.

See:

Attributive, predicative, absolute, and substantive adjectives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjective#Attributive.2C_p...bstantive_adjectives

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marius Hancu,
Thanks for that link, Jerry, but the explanation and examples given are not very clear to me. Could you explain it further?
<Richard, Moderator>
Maybe I can help out, my friend.

I don't know where that definition for attributive and absolute adjectives came from, but it's not correct from what I know.

An attributive adjective simply describes the noun it's with. One easy way to know if an adjective is attributive is if you're able to use it in a comparative sentence. Here are some examples of attributive adjectives with the nouns they're modifying. Note that each one can be put into the comparative form:

• a poor family
  • a nice dog
  • a cold climate

An absolute adjective is a word that cannot be used in a normal comparative because it's something that doesn't have degrees to it like good, better, best. Here are some examples of absolute adjectives with the nouns they're modifying:

• a complete idiot
  • a unique opportunity
  • a dead language

I hope this clarifies the two kinds of adjectives for you, Iwtk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Richard, Moderator>,
    quote:
    An absolute adjective is a word that cannot be used in a normal comparative because it's something that doesn't have degrees to it like good, better, best.

Richard, your definition is supported by:

absolute adjective
    http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/absadjterm.htm

but not by the link I gave in the above from Wikipedia.

Are we dealing with multiple definitions about this term? I think so. Here's another one:

---------
    Definition

An absolute adjective is an adjective which functions as a noun.

Discussion

This term absolute adjective is applicable, by extension, to other parts of speech which are used similarly, such as possessive pronouns or numerals.

Examples (English)

* The poor
    * The mystical in Blake's poetry

http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerm...bsoluteAdjective.htm
    -------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marius Hancu,
    <Richard, Moderator>
    First off, thanks for giving me a heads-up about that typo, Jerr. Smile

As for what an absolute adjective is, I was focusing on the most typical kind of absolute adjective and what distinguishes it from, say, an attributive adjective. I certainly see that by extension, the nominal use of an adjective (e.g., the poor) also falls under the category of absolute adjective since no comparative form can be used. So we're really on the same page, my friend.