Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    Logical & Sequence Connectors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Logical & Sequence Connectors
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Rachel/Richard,

"First, Then, Next, After that, Finally."

Do we call them logical connectors or sequence connectors or are they called something else?

Thanks.
Gilbert
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hello, Gilbert:

Do you remember these previous postings? Were they helpful, or do you need more information?

http://thegrammarexchange.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=searc...orum_scope=340600179

Rachel
Hi Rachel,

Yes, I do remember. However, I was not able to get Celce-Murcia's GRAMMAR BOOK, although the book shop did have her 'Techniques and resources in teaching grammar'.

Anyway, Rachel, I do need extra help to identify this particular set of words.

Thank you.
Gilbert
Celce-Murcia / Larsen-Freeman categorize words like "First, Then, Next, and Finally" in a chapter called "logical connectors." These particular words are in a subcategory "conjunctive adverbials."

"After that" is a phrase that also logically connects sentences. Although it can serve the same function as "then" and "finally," it is not listed under "conjunctive adverbials" in this reference, or even under "logical connectors."

Of course, "after" is a preposition when used with "that," which is its object. The two words together do serve as a logical connector.

When teaching, I have often put all your words, plus others and some phrases like "after that," in a category called "connectors."

Rachel
<Richard, Moderator>
posted   Report This Post  
My half-penny:

Rachel's teaching approach and mine must have come out of the same mold. We see these words and phrases the same way, but I've called them sequence connectors since they're used to show the order in which something is done, such as you find in a process composition.

Richard
Thanks a lot Rachel, Richard.

Yours gratefully,

Gilbert