Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    to write vs. to have written
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

to write vs. to have written
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Can one say the following?

a. He was a genius to write that brilliant piece of music we just heard.
b. He must have been a genius to write that brilliant piece of music we just heard.

c. He was a genius to have written that brilliant piece of music we just heard.
d. He must have been a genius to have written that brilliant piece of music we just heard.

e. He is a genius to write that brilliant piece of music we just heard.
f. He must be a genius to write that brilliant piece of music we just heard.

Many thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: azz,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
c. He was a genius to have written that brilliant piece of music we just heard.
d. He must have been a genius to have written that brilliant piece of music we just heard.

Only the above.
Thank you so much Bazza.

How about the following?

g. He is a genius to have written that brilliant piece of music we just heard.
h. He must have be a genius to have written that brilliant piece of music we just heard.

My feeling is that these two are fine.

Many thanks.
quote:
My feeling is that these two are fine.

I agree, Azz, except for the typo you made in (h): He must be a genius to have written...

(a) and (b) obviously refer to a musician who is now dead, or no longer composes music. (g) and (h) refer to a living and currently active musician.

The question is, why do we need a perfect infinitive for the action of writing a brilliant piece of music? I think this is because judging or evaluating the musician took (or takes) place after his writing the piece of music in question.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustavo, Contributor,