Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    Adverbs II
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adverbs II
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Hello again!

"Traditional grammarians define adverbs as words that modify a verb, an adjective, or another adverb. However, ... we will show that adverbials, which may be words, phrases, or clauses, are just as likely to modify entire sentences or clauses as they are to function according to the traditional definition of adverbs."
From: The Grammar Book (2nd Edition) by Celce-Murcia & Larsen-Freeman (1999) p.491

My question is this: Are the authors for or against the traditional definition of adverbs?

I hope you can help me understand this.

Many thanks.
Gilbert

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gilbert,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hello, Gilbert:

I think that the authors agree with the traditional definition.

But, the authors add that there is something else, the adverbial sentence modifier, which not only exists, but is very prevalent.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi Rachel!

Thank you for the explanation. I'm so sorry for asking that. It's just that when I read it, it sounded as if they were against traditional grammarians. I got the feeling that they considered the definition to be out-of-date.

Thanks again.
Gilbert