Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    Rarely vs. Seldom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rarely vs. Seldom
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Hi, thank you for clicking this artcle.

Today, I encountered this question on a test at school:

San Francisco is usually cool in the summer, but Los Angeles ( ).
1, is seldom 2, is scarcely
3, hardly is 4, rarely is

The answer was "4." I surely erased 2 & 4 at first because they do not express the frequency.

I left 1 and 4... But each of them are almost the same meaning, right? Why is the 4 right? Are there any rules? Please explain it...

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rachel, Moderator,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The choices here involve frequency, just as you said in your post.

"Seldom" and "rarely" mean more or less the same. The former is more formal than the latter, and is usually used in written English.

To express frequency, "hardly" and "scarcely" would need "ever": "hardly/scarcely ever" means "almost never".

Finally, the right choice IS 4, with one more detail to know. That is, words of frequency are not used to end a sentence. With the verb "be", we say "Los Angels rarely is" (but "Los Angels is rarely cool" when words of frequency are not the last word of a sentence).

Chuncan Feng
China

Chuncan Feng

QQ: 1035777278
Email: jhfcc@163.com
chuncanfeng@qq.com
URL: http://www.jhfcc.cn

------------------
Want to teach English in China? Contact me. I have jobs for you.
-------------------

College of English
Zhejiang Yuexiu University of Foreign Languages
Shaoxing, Zhejiang Province 312000, China