Grammar Q & A Newsgroup

Click on Questions and Answers to see the newest messages. If you want to post a message or comment, you will be prompted to login. (If you are not registered, you can do so from the login box.) Remember to bookmark this page to make it easier to return to it.

Grammar Exchange    Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forum Categories  The Grammar Exchange  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    written by whom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

written by whom
 Login/Join 
posted   Report This Post  
Are these sentences correct:

1) A journalist an article by whom was printed by us was arrested yesterday.
2) Pete, an article by whom was printed by us, was arrested yesterday.

3) A journalist an article written by whom was printed by us was arrested yesterday.
4) Pete, an article written by whom was printed by us, was arrested yesterday.

Gratefully,
Navi.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: navi,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
These are all convoluted, difficult to read, and grammatically correct.

What about these:

5: A journalist who wrote an article that we printed was arrested yesterday.

6: Pete, whose article we printed, was arrested yesterday.
David, Co-moderator
Hello, Navi,

DocV's sentences (5) and (6) are much more natural-sounding and elegant than the four sentences you have given. Below is another sentence that could be used instead of (1) and (3). Notice that the shift from "an article by whom" to "one of whose articles" is a change to a partitive construction:
    7) A journalist one of whose articles was printed by us was arrested yesterday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David, Co-Moderator,
Thanks again, David.

I knew I was missing something with my example (6), which you clarified with your example (7). (6), as written, can be misunderstood to mean that Pete only ever wrote one article. To maintain Navi's full intended meaning (as I understand it), it should have been:
    6': Pete, an article of whose we printed, was arrested yesterday.
For anybody interested, the article we printed was "the".

Your (7) is grammatically correct, of course, but I would find it more readable if you would open that tight purse of yours and pull out a couple of commas. They'll grow stale if they're not used.
David, Co-moderator
Thanks, DocV. I have actually had a slight change of heart regarding the latter part of my last post (the bulk of my post), and I have taken the liberty of deleting that part of my post since your reply did not address any of it.

My considered view is that there are indeed sentences here with reduced relative clauses, but the sentences with adjectival "by"-PPs needn't be analyzed that way. It's the passive "written"-phrases that are reduced.

I find Navi's (3) and (4) to be outright ungrammatical, though not ungrammatical to the same degree as the non-reduced equivalents, where a full relative clause (an "island") would be used instead of the passive participial phrase. These are outlandishly ungrammatical:
    3a) *! A journalist an article which was written by whom was printed by us was arrested yesterday.

3b) *! A journalist whom an article which was written by was printed by us was arrested yesterday.

4a) *! Pete, an article which was written by whom was printed by us, was arrested yesterday.

4b) *! Pete, whom an article which was written by was printed by us, was arrested yesterday.