All Forum Topics

influencing somebody

Dear teachers, Which of the following sentences is more correct? a) I thought you might influence her. b) I thought you could influence her. c) I thought may be you could influence her. Thank You. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

one years old

Can we say:'He is one years old.' instead of 'He is one year old.'Read More...

A participial phrase and a comma

Below is one of the questions my students have recently asked in class. ________________ Together with his team Edison brought out a stream of inventions, _________. a. is over one thousand patents b. to be accumulated by over one thousand patents c. by accumulating over one thousand patents d. accumulates over one thousand patents __________________ I'm inclined to answer "c" but the presence of "comma" after the main clause seems a little odd to me. I'm not sure whether the comma is...Read More...

please let me know who was laughing?

tommy
Dear, Teachers 1 - Laughing joyously, Lisa waved at Nancy. 2 - Lisa waved at Nancy, who was laughing joyously. - do the sentences correct grammatically? - do the sentences have the same meaning exactly? and - please let me know who was laughing? Best regards, Thank you very muchRead More...

'register' plural or singular.

Is ˜register' plural or singular? I'm referring to Marilyn's reply to jaybel's question on March 25. The sentence ˜...they belong to different registers.' indicates ˜register' is a count noun. Why then isn't there an article before the sentence ˜...is formal register.'? AppleRead More...

'make' or 'bake' a cake

Hello I'd like to check the collocation of verbs. #1 Mother will bake us some cake today. #2 Mother will make us some cake today. Can I use " bake" and " make" with "cake"? Both are OK? If so, is the type of a cake different when I use "bake " and "make"? Or do you use both words interchangeably? One more question. Is "some cake " should be " a cake"? Thank you.Read More...

Be going to vs be doing

I checked the Archives and found some explanation on the difference between the two. But when I was asked to explain whether the blanks below could be filled with either of them, I felt - and still feel - at a loss what to say: A: Tom ____ (arrive) tomorrow. B: He ____ (spend) the weekend here or ____ (catch) the night train back as usual? A: He ____ (spend) the weekend. He ____ (give) a lecture on Friday and ____ (attend) a big reception on Saturday. The expected answer is to use "be doing"...Read More...

To call someone to verb

Hello, teachers! Would you please help me with the verb "call"? - I called her to buy a new car. This can mean either #1 or #2, isn't it? 1. I called and told her to buy a new car. 2. I called her in order to buy a new car. Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

having the same name

Dear teachers, Which of the following sentences is more correct? There are two employees having the name Thomas John. There are two employees of the name Thomas John. There are two employees named Thomas John. Thank you. Aneeth prabhakarRead More...

where ..... from

Dear teachers, Which of the following sentences is correct / more correct? Where did you buy this dress from? Where did you buy this dress? Thank You. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

until and before

When you are to choose between two conjunctions, ˜until' and ˜before" for the following sentences, which is more natural? 1. Most children do not start school ( until, before) they are six years old. 2. Jake live in N.Y. (until, before) he was thirty years old, and then he went to LA. To me, ˜until' sounds better for both sentences, but ˜before' doesn't sound bad either. Any comments would be appreciated. Apple.Read More...

Can't / Not allowed to

Hi, 1) You can't smoke in this room. 2) You are not allowed to smoke in this room. Are they both correct ? Is there any difference in meaning? Are they interchangeable ? ThanksRead More...

My girlfriend's photograph

Hello, teachers! Would you please help me with this expression? - My girlfriend's photograph hangs in my bedroom. Is "my girlfriend's photograph" correct? Shouldn't it be "a photograph of my girlfriend"? Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

"As" as a relative

Hello, teachers! - The old man recalled the village [as, that] it had been before the war. Can we use 'as' instead of 'that' in this context? Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

catch / take

Hi, 1) Hurry up or you won't catch the train. 2) We have decided to take a taxi. When does one use " catch " and when " take " with transportaion ....?Read More...

Past perfect and present tense in same sentence?

tommy
I met the sentence in a grammar book. This sentence is right or wrong please? "Last week I found a word, wysiwyg, in a dictionary. It is not as peculiar as I had thought. It comes from computers." i think it should be was . because it goes with had thought . thank you very much.Read More...

it's about Adverb !

tommy
I copied a part of google privacy policy please take a look following sentence. We never share your personally identifying information with any advertiser as part of this service. - i see an adverb "personally" but i can't see verb that is mentioned by it. - "identifying" is adjective why not use "identified" ? - can i write We never share your personal identified information with any advertiser as part of this service. Thank you very much.Read More...

Why the Present Perfect ?

Hi, The following is a heading from a news paper. Why have they used the Present Perfect with a finished time? Is there some error ? A memorial service has been held on Saturday for the seven firefighters killed one week ago in the deadliest accident of its kind in Swiss history . Thanks once again for the splendid work !!!Read More...

shocked about / shocked by

Hi.. Which of the two sentces is correct? 1)I was quiet shocked about the way she reacted. 2)I was quiet shocked by the way she reacted Is it shocked about or shocked by ? thanksRead More...

sofa vs couch

What is the difference in usage and meaning of sofa vs. couch? I have one of them for sale. Both categories are listed in the publication I want to advertise in. How do I decide which category to put it in?Read More...

ABLE or CAPABLE

Dear Marilyn, Many thanks. How about ABLE vs. CAPABLE; do they share only one meaning in common? Can we represent the distinction as follows: able adj. – 1. (followed by ˜to' plus an infinitive) having the power, means or opportunity to accomplish an action: able to get a grant 2. especially talented; skillful: an able teacher 3. expertly done; effective: He presented an ABLE speech even though he had just a few minutes to prepare for it. capable adj. – 1. = able 2. 2. (followed by ˜of' plus...Read More...

'At, On, In' his job?

Dear Readers: One of these sentences is going to appear in an upcoming English product. Which sentence sounds most natural to you? 1) The taxi driver doesn't get a lot of exercise IN his job. 2) The taxi driver doesn't get a lot of exercise ON his job. 3) The taxi driver doesn't get a lot of exercise AT his job. Thank you! RachelRead More...

Agreement of subject and verb

The Net in my school insisted that the following sentence is correct: 'Let's make a monkey's eyes.' Is it grammatical? Can we have 'a' and eyes at the same time?Read More...

ABILITY or CAPABILITY?

Dear experts, Would you agree that the two paronyms share one meaning in common and may be represented as: ability n. – 1. suitable or sufficient physical or mental power to do something well. 2. (often pl.) mental capacity; talent, cleverness. capability n. – 1. = ability 1. 2. a talent that has potential for development or use (often pl.). 3. the capacity to be used, treated, or developed for a specific purpose. 4. (usually pl.) an undeveloped faculty, physical or otherwise, capable of...Read More...