All Forum Topics

taking tests

Is this sentence correct: 'Familiarize students with mechanics of the taking tests-"short trials". How can I re-phrase the sentence? What is the meaning of the word 'taking'? Is it an adjective?Read More...

on/ at/ in Xmas holiday?

Which preposition shall we put before Xmas holiday? 1. on Xmas holiday 2.at Xmas holiday 3.in Xmas holidayRead More...

leave

Hello, teachers! - She left the door open. Which does this sentence mean, 1, 2, or both? 1. She let the door open. 2. She left when the door was open. If the sentence can mean the same thing as #1, which is the everyday expression, let, leave, or another expression? Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

Occupation/Position + Proper Name

Hello, teachers! In these expressions, which is natural, with or w/o 'the'? 1. [The] farmer Henry Miller stops by the pub every day. 2. [The] novelist Henry Miller stops by the pub every day. 3. [The] Major Henry Miller stops by the pub every day. 4. [The] Mayor Henry Miller stops by the pub every day. Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

have been of

tommy
i have found a sentence from somewhere. you have agreed that tom's performances have been of the highest standard recently. 1.) i have never seen have been + of before. is it correct? 2.) can i change it and is it correct? you have agreed that tom's performances have been the highest standard recently. (without of ) please help and thank you very much.Read More...

Before & when

Hello, teachers! - You had gone to London [before, when] she was here to see you. In this sentence I know 'before' is the natural and correct choice, but I wonder whether we can use 'when' instead of 'before'. Is 'when' natural or strange? Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

-what is infinitely more important-he

tommy
This employer gained more profit, more leisure and -what is infinitely more important-he found far more happiness in his business and in his home. i have seen something like this at first time. is the sentence grammatically correct? or what's it about grammar issue? please help and thank you very much.Read More...

i have, since, been

tommy
i have found a sentence from a text book. * i have , since, been conducting educational courses for business and professional men and women in New York. it's first time to see since is in middle of the sentence. i always see for example, "i have been doing something since 2000." in English grammar books. in the sentence *, is it correct? if it's correct, what's difference? please help and thank you very much.Read More...

simple past or past perfect?

Please examine the following sentence and see if the tense in the subordinate clause is correct. I think the tense should be "had had", since the incident happened in the past. Is simple past also acceptable in this case? If she had to do it alone, she wouldn't have killed herself. This is about the Internet suicides. AppleRead More...

Anymore

This question has been sent in by Tommy. Now I'd like to add a question: "She says that she isn't in love with anymore and says that we are too different." "Tom doesn't live here anymore." "You look tried, so I don't want to burn you out with anymore." anymore or with anymore?Read More...

is "it" necessary?

The following is a sentence written by a native speaker. Is the "it" in bold necessary? The results suggest that extensive reading may be at least as effective as skills-building, with the important advantage that it is more interesting: for the learners. AppleRead More...

with each other/ each other

tommy
"studying with a group makes boring subjects more interesting because students can discuss them with each other." in above sentence, i just want to know that it should use "with each other" or merely "each other"? best regards, thank you very muchRead More...

I drank (some)(the) water.

I know the following three sentences are grammatically all correct. 1. I drank water. 2. I drank some water. 3. I drank the water. But I'm not really sure of the differences, in what situation each is more appropriate than another. Situation 1: There are a variety of beverages, such as orange juice, coffee, tea, bottled water, etc. but I drank water. Situation 2. I was traveling in the mountain for many hours without drinking anything and I was very thirsty so I drank some water. Situation...Read More...

'education policy' or 'educational policy'

This question has been sent in by Estu. I would like to ask a question: which one is correct or better, "education policy" or "educational policy" (and why)?. I often find both phrases in many books. My office has just opened master program in education(al) policy; that is why I find it difficult to choose one of them.Read More...

Indian / Indians

Dear teachers, Recently a newspaper wrote: ˜We are Indian'. Is it correct? Isn't it better to say ˜Indians' ? Thank you. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

Root of vocaburary deriving from?

tommy
Deal teachers, On intenet, Do you know the websites which have showing or describing the root of vocaburaries, where the word comes. such as circumspect = circum+spect "circum" deriving from "circle" and "spect" deriving from "look" "circumspect" is act of looking around before making any decision. so, this word is mean "careful, prudent, cautious" may be on internet websites or some books, introduce them to me please. very thank youRead More...

need or needs

tommy
Dear teachers, i have found this sentence as following 'He need not worry about anything during his stay on Paradise Island.' i think should be He needs Very thank youRead More...

Past perfect?

The University of Southern Mississippi has an online form for transcript requests. One of the sentences in the instructions reads, "Please allow 48-72 hours for processing your request after it had been received in the office." Is there an obvious error in this sentence to anyone other than myself?Read More...

"any rule" or "any rules"

tommy
I searched the sentences from google.com. 1.) any rule - Is there any rule or regulation, in the USA or Europe, governing the switching on of Robot armpower through software alone? - Waiver provisions Any condition, stipulation, or provision binding any person to waive compliance with any provision of this title or of any rule or regulation - The Regulatory Flexibility Act (RFA) generally requires an agency to prepare a regulatory flexibility analysis of any rule subject to notice and...Read More...

when + past tense

Hi!! I heard that present perfect tense is not used in when clause, instead using past tense. But sometimes it seems that I found present perfect tense in when clause. So, there must be some rules governing verb tense in when clause. Could you kindly let me know any rules of verb tense in when clause? Thank you in advance.Read More...

barbecue

Is it natural or correct to: 'We went to barbecue last week.'Read More...

How to use 'improve' in a sentence

tommy
Dear teachers, 1.) "By improving public transportation to such an excellent level,..." i think it should be "By improving public transportation to be such an excellent level,..." -------- best regards,Read More...

"that clause" with wrong place

tommy
i read a message of a member, Maple. 1.) "There's just a handful of companies in the world that have specialized in this process. " i think it should be 2.) "In the world, There's just a handful of companies that have specialized in this process. " which one is more likely to correct? Very thank youRead More...