All Forum Topics

Whether ... seems?

tommy
Dear teachers, "Whether they are true or not seems to be arguable." Whether .... seems Whether is always singular? Very thank youRead More...

Comma after introductory phrase of time?

tommy
Dear teachers, the comma added, it's a big deal or not? what's difference? 1. - From time to time , parents and school administration may hear students complain about receiving unfair practices from the teachers. 2. - From time to time parents and school administration may hear students complain about receiving unfair practices from the teachers. Very thank youRead More...

beaching / beachings (v.) (adj.) or (n.)

tommy
There has been a fairly large number of whale beachings in the latter half of the twentieth century. I have found this sentence from a English book. I cannot understand the word beachings and especially, s has been added. 1.Why? and 2. beachings what is it? (a verb,gerund or noun) please helpRead More...

Subject / Object pronoun

Hi, The following sentences are confusing. 1) It is good practice for you and me. 2)My friends and me learn English at school. In the 1st sentence "me " as object pronoun is right, but not in the second, Why? Is it incorrect ? ThanksRead More...

the near / the next

tommy
Exploration of the Solar System is (continuing) and at the present rate of (progress) all the planets will have been contacted (within) the (near) 50 years. what's difference between the near 50 years and the next 50 years please help Best regards, Very thank youRead More...

'the' or 'a' with possessive

Hello, teachers! Would you please tell me which is correct or preferred? 1. He is a police detective, investigating a girl's murder. 2. He is a police detective, investigating a murder of a girl. 3. He is a police detective, investigating the murder of a girl. Thank you very much. Happy Saint Valentine's Day for the 14th of February - wishing you all love and success!Read More...

was or has been

Dear teachers, Would you please tell me what I should use in the blank, WAS or HAS BEEN ? The meeting ......... postponed vide this office letter No. C/123/ Meetings dated 15.12.2004. Thank you. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

in or at ?

Dear teachers, Are the following sentences correct? He participated IN the meeting yesterday. The vacancies of doctors IN City Hospital will be filled up shortly. One more telephone should be provided IN the post office. Didn't you study English IN school? IN school and college I used to talk in Hindi, but now IN office I talk in English. She is living IN a rented house. Can I use AT instead of IN ? Thank you. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

[the] earth's land area

Hello, teachers! Do we need 'the' or not? - Glaciers cover about one-tenth of [the] earth's land area. Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

[the] leaders in the field

Hello, teachers! Do we need 'the' or not? 1. He is recognized as one of [the] leaders in the field. 2. He is recognized one of [the] leaders in the field. 3. He is recognized among [the] leaders in the field. Thank you very much. Best Regards.Read More...

Grammar with logic

Hello, teachers! Would you please tell me which is more natural? 1. Grammar with logic is more useful and powerful than [that] by rote. 2. Grammar with logic is more useful and powerful than [learning] by rote Thank you very much. Best Wishes.Read More...

preposition

Dear teachers, What preposition is used in the following sentence? The president welcomed the members FOR / AT / TO the meeting. Thank you. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

which / what school ....

Dear teachers, Which of the following sentences is more correct? Which school do you go to? What school do you go to? Thank you. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

IN / ON the right job

Dear teachers, I came across the following sentence in a magazine. Are you IN the right job? Is it correct? Can I use ON instead of IN ? Thank You. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

'Delude' and 'illude': equivalents?

Dear experts, Would you say that DELUDE and ILLUDE are semantically equivalent meaning 'deceive the mind or judgment' fraudulent ads that DELUDE consumers into sending in money. They had allowed their imaginations to ILLUDE them. Thank you, YuriRead More...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hello, everybody! My sincere wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone in this forum, and I wish you all the best for the coming year. ________________ Dear teachers; I hope that it has been a good year for you, and I would like to thank you for your sincere, kind, helpful answers. I wish you happiness in this season and success in the new year. I always appreciate your help. Best Wishes. HogelRead More...

IN or AT a paragraph

Dear teachers, What prepositin is used in the following sentence? What you are looking for is ..... the second paragraph. Thank you. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...

what flower is this?, what is this flower?

A very basic question. What's the difference between the following sentences? How am I supposed to tell the students the difference? What flower is this? What is this flower? The answer for both is "It's a rose (whatever)". Right? AppleRead More...

Inversion following "than"

I have come across the following sentence. Dogs appear to understand what people are thinking far more effectively than do chimpanzees. How is the above sentence different from the sentence without inversion? Dogs appear to understand what people are thinking far more effectively than chimpanzees do. If both sentences are equivalent, I wonder what should be the rule in using "inversion" like this sentence.Read More...

a number of and the number of

tommy
Dear Teachers, I always doubt the usage of a number of and the number of . For example, Should I write 'a number of people is' or 'a number of people are'? a/the number of "object" + "verb" I doubt the usage of (1.) object (2.) verb Help me to understand them please. Very thank you teachers Best regardsRead More...

admitted IN or AT a hospital

Dear teachers, Is the following sentence correct? Can I use AT in the following sentence instead of IN ? He is admitted IN THE City Hospital. (I know the difference between ˜in hospital' and ˜in the hospital'. Do I have to use THE before City Hospital, because of the verb ˜admitted' ? Is it better if I say ˜He is in City Hospital.' ? Thank You. Aneeth PrabhakarRead More...