All Forum Topics

But...nonetheless

I was taught that but and the adverb showing contrasting ideas ,such as nontheless, nevertheless and the like, should not be used in the same sentence because it tends to make the sentence redundant. However, I found the sentence like the one below very frequently: We should be thankful that Osama bin Laden's intervention in our election took the form of a videotape, and not an attack, as in Madrid on March 11. But it was an attempted intervention nonetheless . What should be the rule that...Read More...

needing??

hello.. Please have a look at this sentence:- When parents buy their children a moblie phone,they imagine them on a street corner somewhere, needing to phone home. Can one use "needing" in the -ing for? ThanksRead More...

School miss

Dear experts, Would you say that SCHOOL MISS has an accepted figurative meaning other than that of a 'schoolgirl'? Thank you, YuriRead More...

On getting cured

Dear experts, Many thanks for the very competent past comments. Would you say that as a noun and a verb CURE can take the preposition FROM (SOMETHING) as well as FOR (SOMETHING) though the meaning will be different in each case? Best wishes, YuriRead More...

"majority"

A majority continue to support the treaty. continue ---> continues ?Read More...

Accused / Charged ??

Hi, Please can some help me out.! He was accused/charged with embezzelement, found guilty and sentenced to three years in prision. Is "accused" or "charged" the right word ? Thanks a lot..Read More...

one, another, the other

Suppose you have five dogs. You are describing them to a friend. You start with colors. (1)One is black. Another is white. Another is brown. And the others are gray. Can you also say (2)"one is black, one is white, one is brown and the other two are gray"? In EFL classes we are taught (1) is the only correct way of describing a number of countable things in different colors, sizes and other features. I was wondering if (2) is common and acceptable. AppleRead More...

Included questions

Dear all, Here is a confusing question waiting for you to answer. Do you know __________ to fix a computer? (A) how (B) where (C) what The answer, I think, should be (A). But could (B) be the answer to the question? Do you know how you can fix a computer? --> Do you know how to fix a computer? Do you know where you can fix a computer? --> Do you know where to fix a computer? I know (C) is inappropriate because the verb "fix" cannot have the object "what" as well as another object...Read More...

get up/ wake up

Hello, Is there any difference between "get up " and " wake up " ? and if so what is it?Read More...

sentence construction

The following two sentences are from The Economist. (1)If by then Sharon has bested his own settler movement, so much the better for peace. (2)If not even he can extract 7.000 settlers from Gaza, grim times lie ahead. I have no trouble with (1), but (2) puzzles me. What does the first part mean? Does the sentence lack "if" after "even"? AppleRead More...

wonder / was wondering

Are there any differences between the two sentences: 1. I was wondering if you could collect the data for the meeting. 2. I wonder if you could collect the data for the meeting. Is it possible to say I "am" wondering...? Thank you very much!Read More...

'Gloomy' and 'depressed'

Hello I'd like to ask about the meaning of the words. Are "depressed " and "gloomy" used interchangeably? If not, how do you use them? Thank you.Read More...

"one" and "it"

Although I know the basic distinction between "one" and "it", I need a better explanation for the students. Look at the two sentences (1)and (2). (1) Have you ever seen a panda? Yes, I've seen one. (2) Have you ever seen snow? Yes I've seen it. In (1) a panda is not a particular panda but any one of the pandas, so the pronoun is "one" not " it". So far so good. But in (2) snow is any snow, not any particular snow. And yet, the pronoun is "it". "one" is not possible because snow is non count.Read More...

Complex Sentence

One of the following sentences contains an independent clause and a dependent clause, which makes it a complex sentence. Which is the complex sentence? 1.After the rain ended, the sky became blue. 2.Jenny was the largest elephant in the circus. 3.I came home; I saw an envelope in the mailbox. 4.I hesitated a moment, but her smile gave me courage.Read More...

Dependant Clause

In which sentence are the italicized words a dependent clause? 1.She went swimming, and her brother went boating. 2.The diving board broke when she jumped into the pool. 3.She wanted to leave early, or she wanted to stay overnight. 4.She became angry, but she would not leave without her brother.Read More...

Passive Voice

Which sentence uses the passive voice. 1.The rain continued until dawn. 2.John searched for a job. 3.The tree was planted by Mary. 4.Lies destroy friendship.Read More...

Dangling Modifier

In which sentence are the italicized words a dangling modifer? 1. Arriving ten minutes late , the store was closed for the night. 2. Flying beneath the cloud ,the pilot could see the airport. 3. Resting on the sea bottom , the old trunk held many coins. 4. Not knowing the danger , the soldiers marched into the trap.Read More...

Gerund Phrase

Which sentence contains words in italics that form a gerund phrase? 1.The laughing boy sat down. 2.An interesting novel provides good entertainment. 3. Winning the race demanded speed and endurance. 4.I am going home .Read More...

the/a+[relative pronoun] what??

Hello, everyone. My question is about Relative Pronoun "what." Here is some example. (1)"I think they got him with the old high-low," Miller said. That is the what you do against the Rams these days . You hit Miller high and Chandler low. ( The Los Angels Times , Nov.14,1998) (2)However, check the monthly payment quoted by the utility and compare it wiht the what you actually paid last year to ensure you are not over-paying. ( The Observer er, Jan. 11,1998) (3) But if a copy of the what the...Read More...

sentence construction questions

I have some questions about the following sentences. (1)The sick can claim 80 percent of their wage up to a certain level, at an annual cost to the taxpayer of about 105 billion kroner($15billion). (2)This is roughly as much as the country spends on defense, foreign aid, higher education and research put together. In (1) the phrase "up to a certain level" indicates what? Level of what? Can the latter half of the sentence be rephrased as "at an annual cost of about 105 billion...Read More...

run-on sentence

Which of the following is a run-on sentence. 1.The house was owned by the mayor. 2.Mike joined the army, and he became more disciplined during the training. 3.Karen's uncle arrives tomorrow she wants to see him. 4.We like to take a walk after dinnerRead More...

Parallel construction

Which sentence uses correct parallel construction? 1.The painter wore glasses,gloves,and boots. 2.Most people enjoy ice cream and the plant grows. 3.You can either talk to the manager about your problem or writing a letter to the president of the company. 4.Anyone who is going to work here will have to be athletic,and intelligent person,and have a good sense of humor.Read More...

Fragment?

Which of the following is a fragment? 1.The truth can be unpleasant. 2.The rams locked horns, and the tourists watched them from far away. 3.The dancer floated across the stage. 4.The canoe with the blue stripes.Read More...

'-wise'?

What about adding the suffix "-wise" to mean "regarding" or "in the matter of"? I've heard that it is frowned upon, but it seems efficient. For example: Sandy is a nice guy, but brains-wise he is lacking. Hidden Valley is a lovely place, but culture-wise, it has nothing. HowardRead More...