All Forum Topics

Noun clause

Hi, the old lady to the next house have a lot of cats. I don't know how many _______________ 1- cats she has 2- cats she must have 3- cats she should have 4- might she have I think these are the best answers. Do you agree with me? the forth one (without cats) is O.K? Thank youRead More...

Steppingstone

If she becomes a senator, it will be her steppingstone to run for president in 2012. Am I correctly using 'steppingstone'? Thank youRead More...

-ing OR -ed form of verb

This question is from Elham. The..............car ran recklessly along the..............mountain road. a.speeded/twisted b.speeding/twisting c.speeded/twisting d.speeding/twisted Why the answer is not (b) and is (c)?Read More...

Pronoun

this is a matter for you and __________to decide. me OR I?Read More...

since ... ago

Is a sentence like the following ever acceptable? Someone told me it was in Swan, page 30, but it's not there in my edition (3rd). (1) I have lived in LA since ten months ago. I think it must be (2) I have lived in LA for ten months. or possibly (3) I have lived in LA since I came here ten months ago. Is (1) a possible ellipsis for (3)?Read More...

Function of 'there'

This question is from Elham. What is the function of the word "there" in the sentence below? "There is running a cat after mouse." a.real subject b.dummy subject c.adverb d.pronounRead More...

Poem

1) Here are my favors of 300 Tang poems. 2) Here are my favor poems of 300 Tang poems. Is a word 'poem' necessary? Thank youRead More...

Apology letter

please correct me: Dear Mr. Mohebbifar, I apologize for not atending in your class and delaying in sending my emails.Unfortunality I had the flue and I lost all of my classes.Thats nice of you if you accept my apology and my emils. Best regards Thank youRead More...

help..up

Crossing the street, she fell. A pedestrian helped her up. Does 'help..up' sound right? Thank youRead More...

Trigger

It was necessity that triggered him to learn English. Am I correctly using 'trigger'? Thank youRead More...

read: simple present or simple past

cocoricot
Dear teachers, Please explain "read". Woud "read" be in the simple past? Would it lack "s" if it were in the present simple? The label read, 'Suitable only for children over there'. Thanks.Read More...

Weather

weather is countable or uncountable? in all weathers?Read More...

Coordinating conjunctions

Hi, I appreciate you for your attention to us,and spend extra time for our questions. There are some tests that I don't recognize their answers. 1-Which sentence is grammatical? a.Both Tom and Bob is coming to the party b.Neither I can go home,nor I can stay here c.Not only do they risk their money ,but they also risk their life d.Either you ask your teacher for help, or your parents Why the answer is (b) and is not (c)? Thankyou,Read More...

whoever or whomever

Hi, i will borrow money from ___________is willing to lend it to him. the answer is whoever OR whomever why? Thank youRead More...

mono-modal !

Dear Richard & Rachel Would you please tell me what does " mono-modal " mean in the following context? In countries like Niger and Mauritania, the cultivation of land has changed little in the past several centuries. Additionally, these countries' mono-modal rainfall pattern brings precipitation only for three months during the year. As a result, food production doesn't really meet demand. ** I'm waitng for you kind reply. Thank you very much SayedRead More...

was my reply correct?

According to the Archive of this forum on (besides/except for) was my reply to someone rude correct? - Don't you have anything else to do besides disturbing people?? I could have used "apart from" or "except for" right?Read More...

Happy Holiday (pick one)

Happy Thanksgiving to Rachel, Richard, and Amy, and anyone else on the list who is celebrating today (Thursday). And Happy Eid Al-Adha to those on the list who are celebrating tomorrow (Friday).Read More...

Idioms

If I say that I keep my nose to the grindstone does it mean that I do my best or that I work more than I have to ? What about working double tides ? Thanks in advance GailRead More...

satisfying/satisfactory

Hi all, Are the two adjectives satisfying/satisfactory suitable for the following sentence? The result of the experiment was ......... Many thanks.Read More...

a/the majority???

Hi What is the difference between (The majority) and (a majority)? 1. A majority of students recognize the importance of the issue. 2.The majority of students recognize the importance of the issue. Which sentence has more numbers??Read More...