Skip to main content

Reply to "Terminology question"

Hi Gustavo. Thank you for sharing with me your great knowledge.

On the Internet I have found they are sometimes called "noun-based or denominal participles."

 “Noun-based participles” is a subversive, thought-provoking name to me and I like it, subversive because I suppose participles by definition derive from verbs.

@Gustavo, Co-Moderator posted:

I have found that Walter Hirtle calls those compounds "modified -ed adjectives," as opposed to "bare -ed adjectives" (Hirtle, Walter H. (1969) "-Ed Adjectives like ‘verandahed’ and ‘blue-eyed’" in Journal of Linguistics 6, 19-36)

So if I understand this correctly, “able-bodied” is a modified -ed adjective and “blue-eyed” a bare -ed adjective, which has brought me a new question: How are they different? They both look the same to me as adj + N + -ed, and the root words are “able bodies” and “blue eyes”.

 That is in fact the formula I use to explain these highly productive compound adjectives (long-legged, short-sighted, quick-tempered, fat-bellied, fresh-scented, blue-eyed, middle-aged) to my students.

You are adding to my confidence in keeping using this formula. Thank you. And I can’t agree more that they are highly productive in communication.

And thank you ahmed_btm once again, for helping me clarify my question.

Last edited by Kinto