They're not "notices," Ismael. They're signs. In fact, they're called traffic signs.

The word ramp is often used for entrances to and exits from highways when they pass through a city. That's because they're usually built above street level, so you need to go up when you enter and go down when you exit a highway. Outside a city, they're usually at ground level, so they won't be ramps.

Thanks a lot Richard.

Would please find a picture of a ramp that you meant and post it here to make the picture clear for me?

PS "They're not "notices," Ismael. They're signs."

Well, I have copied what is there in a book entitled "Stylistics". It says "public notices" not "traffic signs". But to be honest, the writer started the list of notices with this notice " KEEP OFF THE GRASS". That's may be the reason why he classified them to be "public notices".

What do you think?
I've found two photos showing ramps. The first one shows that the entrance ramp to the elevated highway is off to the right. The other photo (on the next reply) shows a drawing of a ramp from a bird's eye point of view. Just imagine that ramp sloping upwards as cars get on it, and then it joins the elevated highway.

As for that book you cited, it's obviously British. All I can tell you is that we call them traffic or road signs in the States, and I believe in Canada, too.



Photos (1)
I guess Keep off the grass can be a traffic or road sign if you've got cars running around the park! (Only kidding, my friend. Wink)

Yes, Keep off the grass is a public notice, I suppose, but we normally use the word notice to mean the kind of sign that imparts information of some sort to the public.

For example, I stop by the City Hall in the town where I live. On the bulletin board enclosed in glass to the right of the front entrance, there's a sign that says, "Hearing on request for new zoning laws. Tuesday, May 27 at 7:00 p.m."

That's what I consider a public notice. The government is telling me what they have scheduled and that I can attend the hearing if I choose to.

If there is a sign in the park that says, "Keep Off the Grass," then you are supposed to stay on the walks that go over and through the grass.

There are probably benches to sit on, as well as some areas that you can walk on.

Of course, in many parks it's OK to walk on the grass, at least in parts of the park, as in this picture of Central Park in New York:


Add Reply

Likes (0)