Hello, everyone,

While responding to somebody in writing, can one refer to oneself by using words like, the undersigned, the responder, the explainer, the interlocutor, and the replier?

1. The explainer/undersigned is of the opinion that any further delay on your part will have far reaching consequences.

What are various other acceptable ways of referring to oneself?



Original Post

Ahmad, it seems to me that the context in which you may need to refer to oneself in the third person is highly formal, mainly legal. "The undersigned" is the form I find the most usual.

In a legal context, once the parties to the document have been defined, they will be referred to as such, regardless of who signs the writing: "the buyer," "the seller," "the lessor," "the lessee," "the lender," "the borrower," "the creditor," "the debtor," "the plaintiff," "the defendant," etc.


I agree with Gustavo.  I have only encountered "the undersigned" in formal legalese pre-written multi-purpose forms that are given to some previously unidentifiable party to be signed.

I would also hyphenate "far-reaching".


Hi, Gustavo and DocV,

I got "the undersigned" part. In fact, I see it used often. But I need more on the topic.

Suppose, I am in the business of making highly formal communications with my senior routinely. Within such a setting, if I am asked to explain something or to give my opinion on some matter, etc, do I have the option to refer to myself as "the responder/the replier/the explainer"?



Add Reply

Likes (0)